Introduction
Brighton Chili Clarkson E. Rochester Gates
Greece Hamlin Henrietta Irondequoit Mendon
Ogden Parma Penfield Perinton Pittsford
Riga Rush Sweden Webster Wheatland
City of Rochester


Pittsford, NY

Cartersville
an active shipping port
on the Erie Canal.
Horses were changed here
in the towpath era.
Cartersville
East Street at Jefferson Road

Spring House
1822
Resort hotel on stage route
and near old lock 62 of
the Erie Canal. Renowned
for sulphur springs nearby.
Spring House Spring House in 2001
3001 Monroe Avenue

Denonville Trail Not found in 2001
Marsh Road, north of Thruway

Denonville Trail Not found in 2001
Marsh Road at Irondequoit Creek

Seneca Trail
Crossing the Irondequoit's
thickly wooded, perilous
valley. Here Gen. Denonville
expected an Indian ambush
enroute to Gannogaro, 1687.
Seneca Trail
437 Jefferson Road

Denonville
with Army of 3,000
French and Indians
crossed these grounds
twice in July, 1687.
Denonville
Oak Hill Country Club

The First House
in Pittsford Village was
erected on this spot
by Israel Stone in 1789.
First House
38 State Street

First Library
in the Genesee country
Northfield Library Co.,
1803 - 1808, kept its books
at the farm of Ezra
Patterson, first librarian.
First library
92 Mendon Center Road about 1 mi. s.e. of Pittsford

District #1
First school house in Monroe
County was erected on this
site in 1794. John Barrows
was first teacher.
District #1
190 Pittsford-Mendon Road

Pittsford Village
founded August 1789
by Captain Simon Stone
and Lieutenant Israel Stone.
Pittsford Village
21 N. Main Street in front of Village Hall

Hopkins Homestead
Settled by Col. Caleb
Hopkins, hero of War of 1812.
Given honor of naming
Pittsford for his hometown
in Vermont.
Hopkins Homestead
3151 Clover Street

First U.S. patent
issued July 31, 1790

signed by George Washington.
The first U.S. patent was
granted to Samuel Hopkins, who
moved to Pittsford, N.Y. in 1810
and is buried here.
First patent
Was located at the Eastern corner
of Main St. & Pittsford-Mendon Road
in the Pioneer Burying Ground
Information on this marker was found
to be incorrect and in was taken down in 2007.

Phoenix Hotel
federal style inn built about
1812 to serve Erie Canal and
turnpike trade.
Restored in 1967.
Phoenix Hotel Hotel in 2001
Southern corner of Main St. & State St.

Erie Canal
Albany to Buffalo

begun 1817, completed 1825.
Enlarged 1850's and early 1900's.
This section opened 1822, making
Pittsford an active comercial port.
Erie Canal
N. Main St. by Erie Canal


Riga, NY

Early Church
First Congregational Church
of Riga. Church society
started 1806. Building
erected 1823, copy of
Hinsdale, Mass. church.
Early Church
Corner of Chili Riga Center and Churchville Riga Roads

Hotel creek
28 settlers spent the winter,
1806, in surveyor's cabin
called "The Hotel." First
Riga home, 1806, by Elihu
Church, owner of this land.
Hotel Creek
Chili-Riga Center Road, east of Riga Center

Old tavern
built by J. Thomson, 1808
first frame house and first
Post Office in Town of Riga.
Thomas Adams homestead.
Not found in 2001
Riga Center and Riga-Mumford Roads

Founded 1843
Churchville graded school
occupied this building
until 1895. A fine example
of the lost art of building
with cobblestone.
Founded 1843
22 W. Buffalo Street
Churchville

Riga Academy
A flourishing school for
boarding and day pupils
was organized here in 1846.
Building was earler
known as Thomson's Tavern.
Riga Academy
Corner of Riga Mumford and Chili Riga Center Roads

Frances E. Willard
Great Temperance leader
was born in house standing
on this site Sept. 28, 1839.
The Willards left this home
for Ohio two years later.
Frances Willard
On building wall, 24 S. Main Street,
Churchville

Riga
First known as West Pulteney, after
Sir William Pulteney, Bath, England,
Early land owner. Renamed in honor
of Riga, Latvia on April 8, 1808.
Berkshire, Mass. pioneers included
Richard, Elihu and Samuel Church,
who gave their name to Churchville
Village incorporated 1867. Some of
the wilderness they cleared and
loved and conquered became part
of Churchville Park in 1928.
Riga
North Main Street,
in Churchville Park


Rush, NY

Baptist Colony
1804
Sixteen families from
Connecticut settled here.
First town meeting of Rush
was held near here, 1818
Baptist Colony
941 Rush-West Rush Road

Site of a settlement of
Tuscaroras
6th Nation of Iroquois
League. Driven from
Carolina by British
1714 - 1722
Not found in 2001
on Avon Rd. at Monroe-Livingston County line

Honeoye
Valley

Three Indian Tribes
have hunted, fished
and tilled the soil here
for thousands of years.
Honeoye Valley
Northeast corner of Creekside Dr. & Rush-West Rush Road.

Cox ferry
operated by Joseph Cox
1820 to 1830. Replaced by
covered wooden bridge
built by Ira Carpenter
& used from 1820 to 1870.
Cox Ferry
Scottsville-Rush Road at Genesee River


Sweden, NY

Brockport Central
Centralized in 1927, first
Central School District
in county, 34th in state
formed Aug. 17, 1927 from
19 area school districts.
Brockport Central
Allen Street
Brockport

Mary Jane Holmes
1828 - 1907

Author of 40+ novels
which sold in the millions
lived here at her
"Little Brown Cottage".
M. J. Holmes
25 Cottage Street
Brockport

Site of
Baptist College 1834, Col-
legiate Inst. 1842 - State
Normal School est. 1866,
Teachers Coll. 1942, State
Univ. Coll. of Education 1959.
Brockport State Brockport
College Street
Brockport

McCormick Reaper
made here in 1846. Seymour
and Morgan by building 100
reapers for Cyrus McCormick
began quantity production
of reapers.
McCormick reapers
Market and Park Streets,
Brockport


Webster, NY

Holt homestead
of 1812 pioneer family.
Birthplace, Dr. L. Emmett Holt
nationally known author,
Pediatrician, 1855 - 1924.
Holt homestead
767 Holt Road

Mill site
Caleb Lyon, pioneer, built
the first sawmill near
here in 1806. He formed a
settlement and projected a
harbor at Nine Mile Point.
Not found in 2001
1429 Lake Road

Denonville TrailNot found in 2001
Bay Road, south of Lake Road

Denonville Trail Not found in 2001
Bay Road at Webster Town Line

Fort Site
Here Denonville's French army
landed to invade the Seneca
country; July 12, 1687, 400
men were left to build fort;
battle at Victor July 13, 1687.
Not found in 2001
266 Lake Road


Wheatland, NY

Rawson Harmon II
founded Agricultural
School here in 1846.
Won first prize at first
World's Fair in London
1851, for wheat grown here.
Not found in 2001
2100 North Road

Northampton
First town west of Genesee
River organized here 1797
Ebenezer Allan home 1786
Peter Schaeffer farm 1789
Terminus pioneer R.R. 1838
Northampton
41 Main Street
Scottsville

Erected 1834
Quaker meeting house built
and used by Orthodox Quakers
1834 - 1854 by Hickites 1854 - 1873
Grange Hall 1937.
Erected 1834
Quaker Road

Burial site
Quaker Cemetery bought
1833 from Darius Shadbolt
Burial site
Quaker Road, near Bowerman Road

Erected 1854
by Orthodox Quakers
used thirty years.
Erected 1854
South Road, between River and Bowerman Roads

Site of first
Quaker Meeting House, Town
of Wheatland. Frame
building 1827 used
until 1854 by Hicksites.
Site of First
34 Quaker Road

Site of
early school
.
Quakers met here
1824 - 1827
Early school
34 Quaker Road

First house
west of Genesee River
built 1700 feet due south. Home of
"Indian" Allen, builder, 1786 and
Peter Sheffer, settler, 1789.
First House
on Scottsville-West Henrietta Road at Scottsville

Early House
built 1838 by Isaac Cox.
Cobblestones selected for
size by passing them through
iron rings.
Early House
5015 River Road

Canal Street
Road to Genesee Valley
Canal Landing and to
warehouses of I. Carpenter
and Philip Garbutt.
Canal used 1840 to 1878.
Canal Street
6 Rochester Street
Scottsville

Feeder Gates
lock, dam and toll house
of Genesee Valley Canal
located approximately
one hundred feet east
operated 1840 to 1878.
Feeder Gates
River Road, at Route 383

Isaac Scott
First Scottsville settler,
from whom Scottsville
derives its name buried
here. Built log house on
present Main Street 1791.
Isaac Scott
Scottsville-Mumford, at Oatka Cem.