Pictures of Rochester and Monroe County, NY

Old pictures and postcards of landmarks and points of interest in Monroe County, NY

Open Left Nav. Bar

Go to Historic Highway Markers


Greece Dry Dock, Greece - Historic Marker

Greece Dry Dock, Greece

GREECE "DRY DOCK"
The concrete abutments you see in the parking lot and
across the canal were supports for rails that were used
by an overhead gantry crane that was about 60 feet
across and 25 feet high. A series of articles in THE
ROCHESTER HERALD in October, 1923 tells about
the crane, an identical one in Pittsford and a mainte-
nance building in Pittsford. Why they were erected is a
mystery since the Junction Lock in Greece and bridges
in Pittsford were to narrow and low to allow barges on
the newly opened Erie Barge Canal to get to the gantry
areas. The Pittsford gantry was eventually moved to the
Monroe Avenue Canal Shops and is in use today.
The trail to the Junction Lock is the towpath of the
1862 Enlarged Erie Canal. All three Erie Canal routes
through Greece are part of the 60 mile "long level"
with no locks between Rochester and Lockport. This
level was the shore line of Lake Dawson, a late ice age
lake about 10,000 years ago. West Ridge Road was
the shore line of a late Lake Iroquois.

Located at: On Ridgeway Ave. about 1/2 mile west of Long Pond Road
Placed by: Town of Greece and NY State Canal Corp

Photo dated: May 28, 2015
Photo by: Dick Halsey

 


home Go to Monroe County GenWeb page.