Pictures of Rochester and Monroe County, NY
Old pictures and postcards of landmarks and points of interest in Monroe County, NY
Mt. Read & Paddy Hill, Greece - Historic Marker
MT. READ & PADDY HILL
The first rural Roman Catholic
Church in New York State. Known as
"The Church in the Woods." Dedicated
to St. Ambrose, was established
here in 1829 at Read's Corners,
where Nicholas Read was an 1823
pioneer. Mt. Read bares his name.
Devout Irish settlers led by
Felix McGuire constructed the first
church, a wooden structure. A new
brick building was dedicated in
1860. (Present church erected in
1966.) The 1860 structure became
a library in 1969.
Located at: Southeast corner of Mt. Read Blvd. and Latta Road
Placed by: County of Monroe; 1978
Photo dated: June 7, 2015
Photo by: Dick Halsey
Go to Monroe County GenWeb page.