Records of the Belcoda Baptist Church
The Belcoda Church was founded in 1811 when there were few churches in this area. Located in the hamlet of Belcoda in the Town of Wheatland, there were few houses surrounding the church during the time of it's founding and there are still few houses. Members came from a large surrounding area and there was a strong members until 1852. It was then that the congregation was divided into four societies; Belcoda, Mumford, Churchville and Clifton. Attendance at Belcoda decreased tremendously and in 1871 the church was closed. The church was dismantled and parts were used in other structures.
On May 30th 1917 a boulder with a memorial plaque was erected on the site of the former church.
These records of the church came from the book Belcoda, a Biographical and Historical Story of A Country Church (1920) by Harriet Brown Dow. Included are:
- a list of Pastors
- a list of members (separated by males and females)
- a second list of members which the book describes as "compiled by Deacon Blackmer after the division supplemented by Mr. Eugene E. Harmon."
- a list of baptisms
- some marriages. Deacon Blackmer did not record marriages. When it became necessary to refer to a woman who had married since uniting with the church, both names are given with the explanatory "now" or "formerly" - these references almost entirely record requests for letters of dismission and recommendation.
- a list of deaths of church members
- July 17, 1813, Elder Solomon Brown began his labors which ended with his death, July 2, 1815.
- September 8, 1817 to January 13, 1827, Elder Ely Stone.
- June 5, 1827 to December 6, 1828, Elder Aristarchus Willey.
- September 6, 1829 to June 4, 1831, Elder William M. Smith.
- February 11, 1834 to April 22, 1835, Elder John L. Latham.
- June 6, 1835 to October 23, 1836, Rev. Daniel Eldredge.
- October 15, 1837 to May 1, 1842, Elder John Middleton.
- May 15, 1842 to October 13, 1844, Elder Gibbon Williams.
- January 1, 1845 to November 30, 1850, Elder Hiram K. Stimson.
- December 1, 1850 to December 1, 1852, Rev. William M. Everts.
- January, 1853 to February 25, 1855, Rev. S. M. Bainbridge.
- May 6, 1855 to November, 1857, Rev. Thomas W. Clark.
- April, 1858 to February 3, 1861, Rev. Austin Harmon. (Grandson of the first deacon and the first settled minister.)
- June, 1861 to June, 1862, Rev. John M. Shotwell.
- October 25. 1866 to July 7, 1866, Rev. Martin W. Holmes.
- March 1, 1867 to May 16, 1869, Rev. David Morse. Rev. Morse was the last settled pastor.
Members of the Church
|Rawson Harmon |
Andrew G. Cone
Elder Solomon Brown
Ashbel A. Hosmer
Philip P. Rich
Stephen Wilkin, Jun.
Elder Ely Stone
John A. Johnaon
John Smith, Jun.
Isaac S. Smith
Samuel J. Hecock
Henry G. Woodhull
William Van Doosen
John J. Blackmer
Samuel J. Hecock
John Mudge, Jun.
Parker, the Aged
Con-on-doa-e-oh Little Beard
Elder Aristarchus Willey
|David B. Rollin|
Noah P. Morse
Eld. William W. Smith
Orin D. Jones
Abraham E. Hotchkin
Isaiah J. Hudson
Amos F. Albright
Horace P. Smith
Eld. Horace Griswold
Justus W. Tenny
Sterling A. Hebberd
Abel A. Woodhull
Noah P. Morse
Francis Le He
Ira S. Preston
Dea. James Woods
Rev. John L. Latham
Eld. Daniel Eldredge
Amariab S. Stebbins
William R. Mudge
Eld. Samuel W. Ford
|Perviz W. Cady|
Eld. John Middleton
Rawson Harmon, Jun.
Foster S. Watson
Horace S. Mather
William N. Reed
William Garbutt, Jun.
Lewis E. Lane
Perry C. Burrows
Melanckton W. Brown
Eld. Reuben Tenny
John J. Blackmer
Eld. Gibbon Williams
John G. Randal
Rufus J. Hebbard
Oscar F. Harmon
Daniel P. Owen
Oliver P. Blackmer
David N. Smith
Augustus E. Harmon
Eld. Solomon Goodale
Thomas P. Jones
Eld. Hiram K. Stimson
George G. Braman
Daniel W. Bliss
Sidney C. Hosmer
Samuel R. Stimson
|John S. Durham |
Abel Newton Holdridge
Edwin M. Harmon
Edwin E. Basset
Byron P. Rodgers
Jacob Widener, Jun.
Hiram C. Hull
Thomas William Hebbard
Anson S. Rose
John W. Dawson
Leonard D. Dexter
William G. Hawkins
Henry Widener, Jun.
Eld. Reuben Tenny
David F. Spencer
Stephen Baker, Jun.
John A. Crosman
Rev. William W. Everts
Augustus E. Harmon
Lloyd K. Smith
William Remington, Jun.
George S. Spalding
James O. Paddock
George W. Wilcox
Arid H. Brown
Amy Adeline Stone
Elizabeth Van Benscheten
Anna Clark, 2nd
Dorotha Ann Beebe
Fanny C. Smith
Hannah T. Hotchkin
Eliza Ann Hoffman
Harriet N. Mudge
Lois Elizabeth Hoffman
Eliza Ann Smith
Celia Maria Smith
Lura Ann Brown
Mary Ann Armstrong
Nancy M. Smith
Mary E. Griswold
Harriet Lurana Munn
Josephine E. Armstrong
Betsey Ann King
Abigail W. Harmon
Clarissa E. Armstrong
Mary Ann Blount
Rose M. Baker
Mary Ann Wilkinson
Sarah Blackmer, 2nd
|Elvira Mudge |
Mary Ann Mudge
Mary C. Middleton
Elizabeth G. Hawkins
Hortense A. Harmon
Mary Ann Frost
Sarah R. Avery
Mary E. Hebbard
Affa Mariah Stone
Anna M. F. Williams
Caroline C. Mudge
Emily Ann Williams
Delia Jane Williams
Mary C. Tenny
Frances M. Hebbard
Elizabeth M. Tenny
Sarah Elizabeth McArthur
Phebe Ann Cross
Members of the Church
- Jirah Blackmer, died June 6th, 1867.
- Ariel Harmon, died May 15th, 1855.
- William Welch, dismissed September 30, 1872.
- Comfort Smith, died, December 30th, 1853.
- Ira Harmon, died June 13th, 1866.
- Harry Stanhope. dismissed April 23rd, 1854.
- John J. Blackmer, died January 5th, 1865.
- Oscar F. Harmon, dismissed April 23rd, 1854.
- Sylvester Harmon, dismissed February 13, 1870.
- Newland Irish, dismissed July 1st, 1854.
- George Sheffer.
- Rufus Green.
- Rev. Solomon Goodale, died November 7th, 1862, aged 95 years.
- Benjamin Royston, dismissed August 5th, 1854.
- Elisha Harmon, died January 19th, 1864.
- Ammi Blackmer, dismissed April 17, 1870.
- Martin Sage, died October 24th, 1857.
- Edwin M. Harmon, dismissed May 15th, 1872.
- Hiram Sage.
- Edwin E. Bassett, dismissed February 3rd, 1855.
- Charles Justus, died March 31, 1873.
- Theron Brown, died October 29th, 1859.
- Byron Rodgers, dismissed October 1st, 1859.
- Joseph Maynes, dismissed March 12th, 1854.
- George Welch, died October 27th, 1863.
- Ariel H. Brown, dismissed December 3rd, 1853.
- George G. Braman, dismissed March 4th, 1854.
- Hiram C. Hull.
- Thomas William Hebbard, dismissed April 9th, 1854.
- Nelson Davis.
- Volney Sage, Bapt. Jan. 2nd, 1853, dismissed March 2nd, 1861.
- Rev. Samuel M. Bainbridge.
- Edward Ford, Bap. March 13th, 1853, dismissed May 5th, 1854.
- George E. Harmon, Bap. March 13th, 1853, dismissed November 3, 1866.
- William T. Bradbury, Bap. March 20th, 1853.
- Alden J. Justus, Bap. March 20th, 1853, dismissed July 25th, 1858.
- Clarissa Armstrong, died December 25th, 1860.
- Carina Harmon, dismissed September 15, 1872.
- Hannah Welch, died July 19th, 1856.
- Tirza Blackmer, died April 20th, 1856.
- Abigail Welch, died November 4, 1868.
- Sophia Hosmer, dismissed April 30th, 1853.
- Lucinda Stanhope, died August 12th, 1861.
- Caroline Shirts, died.
- Sarah Blackmer, dismissed January 4th, 1874.
- Minerva Blackmer, died February 19, 1883.
- Elizabeth Garbutt.
- Marcy Rodgers, died August 14th, 1857.
- Hortense A. Murdock, dismissed April 1st, 1854.
- Jane Blackmer, died January 29th, 1869.
- Caroline King, dismissed May 4th, 1861.
- Mary Harmon, died August 11th, 1863.
- Angeline Justus, died December, 1879.
- Maria Sheffer, dismissed February 18, 1874.
- Elegant Duer, died April 15th, 1861.
- Nancy Griswold, died March 10th, 1856.
- Amanda Skinner.
- Arvilla Emmons, dismissed March 26th, 1854.
- Lucretia Harmon, dismissed February 13th, 1870.
- Sarah Elizabeth McArthur, died July 12th, 1872.
- Mary Green.
- Almyra Sheffer, dismissed February 18th, 1874.
- Mary Blackmer, died October 16th, 1863.
- Jerusha Franklin.
- Ruth Harmon, dismissed November 6th, 1869.
- Mary Sage.
- Jane Justus.
- Martha Gridley.
- Mary Chamberlain.
- Sarah Brown.
- Lovina Bradbury, dismissed September 24th, 1854.
- Susan Rodgers, dismissed October 1st, 1859.
- Frances Elizabeth Harmon, united at Medina.
- Mary Ann McElroy, died May 19th, 1854.
- Ann Maria Brown, died October 7th, 1879.
- Amaret Harmon, died March 7, 1880.
- Lucinda S. Stanhope, dismissed April 20th, 1856.
- Harriet Sage, dismissed November 3rd, 1855.
- Cornelia Harmon.
- Esther Maynes. dismissed March 12th, 1854.
- Lucinda Sheldon, died December 22nd, 1862.
- Mary J. Robinson. dismissed December 23rd, 1855.
- Emeline Ford, dismissed May 6th, 1854.
- Caroline Austin.
- Emely Waggoner.
- Amanda Cady.
- Anna V. Brown, dismissed December 3rd, 1853.
- Mary Brown, dismissed October 10th, 1858.
- Eliza Marshall, Bap. February 6th, 1853.
- Mary P. Bainbridge, dismissed March 3rd, 1855.
- Margaret Marshall, Bap. March 6, 1853, died December 15th, 1854.
- Elizabeth Day, dismissed July lst, 1854.
- Mary A. Longley, died June 26th, 1857.
- Clarissa O. Justus, dismissed June 22nd, 1862.
- Jane Ann Baley, dismissed April 23rd, 1854.
- Helen C. Justus.
- Juliet M. Stanhope, Bap. March 20th, 1853, dismissed April 20, 1856.
- Frances L. Bainbridge.
- Thankful Blackmer, dismissed February 13, 1870.
- Angeline J. Bradbury, dismissed December 6th, 1856.
- Orriette T. Griffin, dismissed September 1st, 1860.
- Antoinette L. Harmon, dismissed September 2nd, 1854.
- Angeline Wilkinson, dismissed April 30th, 1853.
- Krina J. Hansey, dismissed March 2nd, 1861.
- Alma Bowen, dismissed July 2nd, 1853.
- Ednah Palmer.
- Mary Ann Kenyon, dismissed February 5th, 1860.
- Maria H. Mann, dismissed February 17th, 1867.
- David Day, dismissed July 1st, 1854.
- George Day, dismissed July 1st, 1854.
- Carlton R. Harmon.
- William F. Bainbridge, dismissed March 3rd, 1855.
- Sylvester C. Bassett.
- Thomas Boyd, died March 25th, 1864.
- Guilford M. Harmon, died September 12, 1879.
- Perry C. Burrows, dismissed July 2nd, 1853.
- Levi Stanhope, died June 22nd, 1861.
- John Jacob Hansey. died April 15th, 1860.
- Albert Tenny, dismissed December 3rd, 1853.
- Lafayette Stanhope, dismissed March 4th, 1854.
- Peter Mann, dismissed February 27th, 1867.
- William C. Wilkinson, dismissed August 31st, 1856.
- William B. Hebbard, dismissed February 28th, 1863.
- Joseph Wynn, died August 27th, 1855.
- Ariel H. Brown, dismissed May 5th, 1866.
- Rev. Thomas W. Clark, dismissed November 29th, 1857.
- Chester H. Brown, died February 1st, 1898.
- Daniel Newton Clark, dismissed April 18th, 1858.
- Levi Chapman, dismissed February 28th, 1857.
- Eugene E. Harmon, died 1919.
- Rev. Austin Harmon, died 1865.
- Francis G. Denton, dismissed May 5th, 1860.
- James Kinney.
- Rev. John M. Shotwell, dismissed June 29th, 1862.
- Charles T. Brown.
- William C. Johnson.
- Rev. M. W. Holmes, dismissed August 31st, 1867.
- Willie Holmes, dismissed December 22, 1867.
- Simeon Kingsley, dismissed March 30th, 1868.
- Rev. David Morse, dismissed September 3rd, 1869.
- Elvira A. Hebbard, dismissed February 28th, 1863.
- Emeline Fisk, dismissed February 28th, 1863.
- Emeline Wynn, died May 22nd, 1855.
- Sophia Hawkins.
- Anna V. Brown, dismissed May 5th, 1866.
- Sarah H. Kelsey, died August 31st, 1860.
- Angeline Maria Clark, dismissed November 29th, 1857.
- Mary Rogers, dismissed June 9th, 1873.
- Martha Hebbard.
- Elizabeth Kinney.
- Sarah C. Harmon, dismissed May 3rd, 1862.
- Almyra A. Denton, dismissed May 5th, 1860.
- Rebekah Ingalis.
- Naomi Maria Ford.
- Harriet Roberts, dismissed May 4th, 1861.
- Asena Whicher.
- Mary Leak.
- Catherine Kinney. died October 8, 1869.
- Maria Kinney, dismissed August 1, 1868.
- Salome L. Shotwell, dismissed June 29th, 1862.
- Elizabeth Taylor, dismissed December 8th, 1861.
- Sarah Johnson, dis. to Mumford.
- Wm. C. Johnson. dis. to Momford.
- Mary P. Holmes, dismissed August 31st, 1867.
- Wealthy A. Sage.
- Harriet Kingsley, dismissed March 30th, 1868.
- Sarah Morse, dismissed September 3, 1869.
- Hyla Harmon, dismissed July, 1877.
- William C. Johnson.
The rite of immersion was administered in streams most convenient; witness that after a meeting in the Riga school house "they repaired to the water" evidently nearby. Usually streams in the church neighborhood were utilized - "at the bridge before you get to Mr. Baker's house," "the old plaster mill dam on the Skinner farm" an old member recalls; and on rare occasions the Oatka at Mumford; Deacon Blackmer seldom specifies. Sometimes it was necessary to break the ice, always the candidates had to ride miles in their wet baptismal robes yet any ill results were said never to have followed.
- By Elder David Irish:
- First Baptism, June 10, 1811 - Andrew G. Cone.
- By Elder Firman:
- Sunday, June 16, 1811 - Polly Tucker.
- By either Elder Firman or Elder Andrews; probably the former, though the records are not quite clear:
- July 7, 1811 - Joseph Tucker.
- By Elder David Irish:
- October 11, 1811 - Zelpha Sage and Betsey Martin.
- (March 11, 1813 - First letter of dismission. It was granted to Jacob Catlin.)
- By Elder Solomon Brown, evidently his first:
- May 15, 1814 - Delight Bennett and Abigail Smith.
- By Elder Brown, his last baptisms:
- April 16, 1815 - William Tenny, Annus Tenny and Nancy Lauson.
- By Elder John Upfold:
- April 21, 1816 - Elizabeth Grant.
- By Elder Solomon Goodale:
- December 1, 1816 - Sally Blackmer and Rebeckah Smith.
- By Elder Ely Stone:
- July 19, 1818 - John Welch, Sylvester Whitney and Laura Whitney.
- September 8, 1818 - William Welch.
- September 20, 1818 - Marian Dexter.
- September 27, 1818 - Clarissa Armstrong.
- January 10, 1819 - William Shirts, Rufus Scofield, John A. Johnson, Abraham Calkins, Roxanna Scofield and Sally Johnson.
- March 7, 1819 - Isaac Smith, Sally Yale, Daniel Grant, Samuel J. Hecock, Henry G. Woodhull, Benjamin Woodhull, Eunice Grant, Lucy Hincher.
- May 2, 1819 - Joel Yale, Nancy Smith, Malvina Parker, Harriet Orent, Julia Hosmer.
- July 4, 1819 - William Pebody, Silas Burns, Anna Clark, Sabra Cone, Belden Hosmer, John Grant and Lucretia Brown.
- September 5, 1819 - William Van Doesen and Betsey Snyder.
- October 17. 1819 - Harriet Bells.
- October 31, 1819 - Elizabeth Van Benschoten and Henry Clark.
- December 5, 1819 - Joseph Snider.
- January 2, 1820 - Joseph Lenis.
- May 7, 1820 - Experience Gillman and John J. Blackmer.
- June 4, 1820 - Elias Parker and Harriet King.
- August 4, 1822 - Mary Hosmer.
- December 22, 1822 - William Clark.
- March 23, 1823 - Theodore Brown, Corina Harmon and Delia Stone.
- March 16, 1823 - Harriet Smith, Amanda Tenny, Caroline Welch and Caroline King.
- March 30, 1823 - Hiram Kelsey and Mary Whitney.
- April 27. 1823 Armenus Wardener, Lovias Tenny and Laura Welch.
- May 25, 1823 - Ella Barber and Pamelia Toms.
- July 5, 1323 - Eli Lee and Mindwell Lee.
- By Elder Aristarchus Willey:
- July 4, 1827 - Polly Crane.
- March 9, 1828 - Eunice Woodhull.
- April 27, 1828 - Jesse Tenny, Noah P. Morse, Lucius Loomis, Elizabeth Harmon, Deborah Jones, Thankful Tenny, Nancy Tenny, Ariel Harmon, Andrew McCombs, Hallet Smith, Betsey DeKay, Susanne McCombs, Esther Jones, Paraloxay Hamlin.
- May 11, 1828 - Mary Armstrong.
- June 1, 1828 - Lydia Blackmer and Parmelia Hoffman.
- June 15, 1828 - David Bangs, Charles Tenny, Dillis Dexter, Eunice Bangs and Jacob McCormick.
- June 22, 1828 - Abiram Toma, Amanda Calkins and Mary Toms.
- June 29, 1828 - Adrian Manley and Abigail Manley.
- August 3, 1828 - Hezekiah Hebbard and Martha Hebbard.
- September 7, 1828 - Mary Longley.
- December 7, 1828 - Cynthia Almy.
- By Elder Smith:
- December 6, 1829 - Emeline Stoddard.
- December 20, 1829 - "Widow" Hannah Welch.
- March 14, 1830 - Maria Shaw.
- By Elder Beckwith:
- September 11, 1831 - Catharine Wardner and Sophia Hosmer.
- By Elder Horace Griswold:
- November 6. 1831 - Ira Harmon, Martha Lura Ann Patty Rogers Brown, Nancy Brown, Lois Wilkinson, Roxanna Osburn and Ann Tenny.
- May 6, 1832 - Mary Ann Armstrong, William Smith, Pamelia Baker, Nancy M. Smith, Hannah Freeman and Patty Sickles.
- June 3, 1832 - Danforth Reed, Abel A. Woodhull, Harriet Lurana Munn, Hannah Hawley, Adaline Hotchkin, Catharine Myers, Betsey Ann King, Sterling A. Hebbard, Mary E. Griswold, Josephine E. Armstrong, Clarinda Griffin and Lovina Loomis.
- June 10, 1832 - Nathaniel Randal, Marietta Blackmer, Abigail W. Harmon and Clarissa E. Armstrong.
- July 1, 1832 - Francis La He or LeHe and Rachel Griffin.
- September 3, 1832 - Gideon Skinner, Caroline Hoffman, Rebekah Myers and Melissa Macomber.
- September 23, 1832 - Deming Wardner and Cornelia Murdoff.
- January 27, 1833 - Miles Willmore.
- September 1, 1833 - Nancy Morley.
- September 19, 1833 - Mary Ann Blount.
- November 17, 1833 - Hastings Morley.
- By Elder Eldredge:
- January 3, 1836 - Arvilla Hosmer, Mary Ann Wilkinson and Olive Tilly.
- May 1, 1836 - M. Louisa Brown.
- By Elder Middleton:
- January 7, 1838 - Emeline Hoffman.
- March 4, 1838 - Harry Stanhope, Caroline Shirts, Cynthia Blackmer, Abigail Ooles, Fanny Blackmer, Sarah Blackmer, 2nd.
- May 13, 1838 - John Wines, Amy Randal, Cynthia Cady, Adeline Shirts, Julia Blackmer, Adam Oles, Elvira Mudge, Caroline Hebbard, Minerva Blackmer and Elizabeth Blackmer.
- June 10, 1838 - Perviz W. Cady, Mary Ann Mudge and Ellen Cady.
- July 1, 1838 - Thankful Myers and Mary Myers.
- By Elder Leavenworth in absence of Elder Middleton:
- April 14. 1839 - Rawson Harmon, Jr., W. Bradford Hebbard, James Cady, Elizabeth G. Hawkins, Marian Burgess, Fanny Armstrong, Teresa Tenny,Joseph Hawkins, Hiram Tenny, Alfred Mudge, Maria Bradbury, Hortense A. Harmon and Almeda Hoffman.
- May 5. 1839 - Cornelius Hubbell, Sarah Smith, Asenath Baker, Juliet Burgess, Norman Harmon, Fanny Mudge and Harriet Brown.
- May 19, 1839 - Horace S. Mather, Jane Blackmer, Caroline Harmon, Jane Watson, Hylinda Harmon and Mary Harmon.
- August 4. 1839 - Oscar Granger, Mary Ann Frost, Caroline Granger and Jane Harris.
- September 17, 1839 - Angeline Justus.
- November 3, 1839 - William N. Reed and William Garbutt, Jr.
- Sunday, April 12, 1840 - Lewis F. Lane, Jacob Widener and Perry C. Burrows (After Sunday service the church and congregation repaired to the water and these three were baptized, Jacob Widener having related his Christian experience after morning worship.)
- July 12, 1840 - Adam Elliot.
- November 17, 1840 - Amanda Gillman.
- May 2, 1841 - Andrew Cone and Mary E. Hebbard.
- By Elder Williams:
- March 5, 1843 - John J. Randal.
- March 19, 1343 - Luke Blackmer.
- April 23, 1843 - Rufus J. Hebbard, Nathan Sickles, Orville Tourgee, Caroline C. Mudge, Delia Jane Williams, Nancy Tenny, Mary Fish, Philetus Tenny, Oscar F. Harmon, Delia Tourgee, Emily Ann Williams, Mary C. Tenny, Frances M. Hebbard and Elizabeth M. Tenny.
- May 7, 1843 - Oliver Pomeroy Blackmer, Adin Hull, Sarah Elizabeth McArthur, Emeline Harmon, Lucy Weed, Mary Cross, Sylvester Harmon, Newland Irish, Eliza Collins, Cynthia Harmon, Phoebe Ann Cross and Martha Cross.
- July 2, 1843 - Lucina Sheldon.
- August 27, 1843 - George Sheffer, Hannah McNall, Mary Green, David N. Smith, Elizabeth Bigford. These related their Christian experience at the home of Mr. William N. Reed at Scottsville, and they were baptized at Scottsville.
- September 3, 1843 - Rufus Green, Angeline Green, Mary Blackmer, Zelpha Alder, Augustus E. Harmon and Mary Ann Bradbury.
- May 5, 1844 - Janet Miller and Jane Cady.
- By Elder Stimson:
- March 2, 1845 - George G. Braman.
- June 1, 1845 - Robert Hayes.
- November 1, 1846 - Mrs. Elisha Harmon (Ruth Rogers Harmon).
- March 21, 1847 - Elisha Harmon, Amy Adeline Stone, Eveline Tenny, Lois A. Holdridge, Mary Sage 2nd and Albert Tenny.
- March 28, 1847 - Ira Hebbard, Egbert Basset, Cynthia Harper, Milton Blackmer, Thomas Burdett, Mary L. Thompson, Martin Sage, Sidney Hosmer, Ammi Blackmer, Jane C. Justus, Samuel R. Stimson, Henry Perkins, John Smith and Martha Sage.
- April 4, 1847 - George Rossiter, Sarah Avery, Eineline Brown, Lovina Bradbury, Benadam Palmer, Edwin M. Harmon, Hiram Sage, Esther Mariab Stone, Emeline Babcock, Charles Justus, Henry Royston, Cynthia Tourgee, Abel Newton Holdridge, Malvina Tourgee, Huldah Jane Mansfield, Susan Kenyon, Eber Sickles, Lafayette Stanhope, Resilla Heath, Edwin Bassett, Anan Harmon, Theron Brown and Byron Rogers. (Sarah Avery became in 1848, Mrs. V. P. Brown).
- April 11, 1847 - Jacob Widener, Jr., Hiram E. Hull, Sophia Hawkins, Mary Ann McElroy, Mary Jane Stone, Clarissa Armstrong, Henry Gillman, Frances Elizabeth Harmon, Eveline Eloda Gillman and James Hinche.
- April 25, 1847 - William Smith, Jane Eliza Harmon and Thomas William Hebbard.
- May 2, 1847 - David Starkey, Dillis Widener, Mary W. Hosmer, Mary Osborn, Susan Montanny, Sidney Southmaid, Maria Ann Brown, Lydia Hosmer and Melissa Dexter.
- May 9. 1847 - Cyrus Marsh, John W. Dawson, Leonard D. Dexter, William G. Hawkins, Wealthy Griffin, Amoret (Avery) Harmon, Irene Whitman, Kezia Rogers, Nancy Holdridge, Fidelia (Phidelia) C. Harmon, and Lucinda Stanhope.
- May 16, 1847 - Henry Widener, Jr., Mary Jane Dawson and William Burdette.
- May 23, 1847 - Lewis Dexter, Elizabeth Willett, Mary Dexter and Harriet Sage.
- May 30, 1847 - Michael Wimer, Cornelia Harmon and Aurella Ann Chapman.
- July 11, 1847 - Roxanna Baker.
- September 5, 1847 - Erastus Southmaid.
- February 13, 1849 - Sarah Smith, Charlotte Mudge, Emeline Hutchins, Alonzo Burman, Alvardus Tenny, Delia Tourgee, Lasira Stimson and Emeline Wagoner. (These related their Christian experience at a meeting of the church held at Octagon Schoolhouse in Riga; at the conclusion of the services the "church repaired to the water" where the rite of baptism was administered.)
- February 25, 1849 - Ransom Collins, Edwin Collins, David F. Spencer and Stephen Baker.
- March 4, 1849 - John A. Crossman, Olive Spencer, Alma Bowen, Emma Armstrong, Susan Sickles, Cordelia Chapman and Esther Burroughs.
- June 3, 1849 - George Welch and Elsie Hunt.
- By Elder Everts:
- July 6, 1851 - Harriet P. Ball.
- February 1, 1852 - Jeremiah McCarty.
- March 7, 1852 - Lloyd K. Smith and William Remington.
- March 28, 1852 - George Spaulding and Agnes Munson.
- April 11, 1852 - James O. Paddock, George W. Wilcox, Archibald Seely, John Munson, Ann McCarty, Laura A. Munson, Emmet Lytle, Nancy M. Collins, Clarissa Seely, Matilda C. Munson, Mary Green, Lois Lytle.
- May 7, 1852 - Jedediah Munson. Mary Louise Munson, Catharine M. Green, Nelson Davis, Abigail Munson, Lucinda C. Tenny, Horatia C. Spaulding and John Howard.
- June 6, 1852 - Jeremiah Eastman.
- July 4, 1852 - Charlotte Munson and Anna V. Brown.
- By Elder Bainbridge:
- January 3, 1853 - Volney Sage.
- February 6, 1853 - Eliza Marshall.
- March 6, 1853 - Margaret Marshall.
- March 13, 1853 - Edward Ford, Mary A. Longley, Clarlssa O. Justus, George E. Harmon, Elizabeth Day and Mary Ann Baley.
- March 20, 1853 - William T. Bradbury, Alden J. Justus, Helen C. Justus, Frances L. Bainbridge.
- March 27, 1853 - Oriette Griffin, Thankful Blackmer, George Day, William F. Bainbridge, Angeline Bradbury, David Day, Carlton R. Harmon and Sylvester C. Bassett.
- April 10, 1853 - Thomas Boyd, Guilford M. Harmon and Antoinette L. Harmon.
- June 12, 1853 - Krina Johannes Hansey.
- July 3, 1853 - John Jacob Hansey.
- September 13, 1853 - Ednah Palmer.
- October 2, 1853 - Mary Ann Kenyon.
- March 5, 1854 - Peter Mann and Maria H. Mann.
- By Elder Clark:
- May 4, 1856 - Chester H. Brown.
- July 6, 1856 - Sarah H. Kelsey.
- September 7, 1856 - Angeline Maria Clark and Mary Rogers.
- By Elder Austin Harmon:
- March 6, 1859 - Elizabeth Kinney.
- April 8, 1859 - Francis G. Denton, Rebekah Ingalls, Harriet Roberts, Almira A. Denton and Naomi Maria Ford.
- April 15, 1859 - Alma Whicher and Mary Leak.
- April 22, 1859 - James Kinney and Catharine Kinney.
- By Elder Shotwell:
- September 1, 1861 - Elizabeth Taylor.
- By Elder Increase Childs:
- May 3, 1863 - Charles Theron Brown. (Mr. Brown, a grandson of the first settled minister, Rev. Solomon Brown, was the last one to be baptized into membership in the old Church.)
Deacon Blackmer did not record marriages. When it became necessary to refer to a woman who had married since uniting with the church, both names are given with the explanatory "now" or "formerly". They follow verbatim, with dates of notation:
- October 6, 1820 - Lois Permit, formerly Lois Stone.
- December 31, 1820 - Rebekah Wilkins, formerly Rebekah Smith.
- April 4, 1824 - Miriam Dexter, now Miriam Wells.
- May 4, 1824 - Laura Almy, formerly Laura Marsh.
- January 7, 1826 - Mehitable Green, now Mehitable Smith.
- June 10, 1827 - Harriet Pettingill, formerly Harriet Smith.
- February 27, 1831 - Caroline Smith, formerly Caroline King.
- April 24, 1831 - Puralaxy White, formerly Sister Hamlin.
- November 11, 1832 - Amanda Gridley, formerly Amanda Tenny.
- April 6, 1833 - Harriet Frost, formerly Harriet King.
- July 6, 1833 - Olive Sheldon, formerly Olive Buck.
- August 3, 1833 - Lura Ann Griffin, formerly Lura Ann Brown, (full name: Martha Lura Ann Patty Rogers Brown), daughter of Rev. Solomon Brown.
- September 28, 1833 - Eliza Ann Whitney, formerly Eliza Ann Smith.
- September 28, 1833 - Rachel Brown, formerly Rachel Griffin.
- September 28, 1833 - Celia Maria Hull, formerly Celia Maria Smith.
- November 1, 1834 - Harriet Rose, formerly Harriet Hosmer.
- March 8, 1835 - Maria Watson, formerly Maria Shaw.
- October 31, 1835 - Permelia Toms, now Permelia Stebbins.
- February 21, 1836 - Chloe Preston, formerly Chloe Buck.
- April 24, 1836 - Emeline Van Antwerp, formerly Emeline Harris.
- February 4, 1837 - Ruth Willmore, formerly Ruth Woodhull.
- April 14, 1837 - Exana Miner, formerly Exana Smith.
- July 1, l837 - Mary Biggerstaff, formerly Mary Armstrong.
- June 3, 1837 - Caroline Smith, formerly Caroline King.
- September 2, 1837 - Marietta Albright, formerly Marietta Blackmer.
- December 12, 1838 - Elizabeth Goodhue, formerly Elizabeth Gillman.
- December 30, 1838 - Permelia Fulsom, formerly Permelia Hoffman.
- June 1, 1839 - Juliet Gear, formerly Juliet Burgess.
- January 19, 1840 - Arvilla Emmons, formerly Arvilla Hosmer.
- Dec. 5, 1840 - Amy Wright, formerly Amy Rundel.
- February 14, 1841 - Hannah Meldrum, formerly Hannah Hawley.
- January 2, 1842 - Harriet Pray, formerly Harriet Brown.
- April 1, 1843 - Jane Macomber, formerly Jane McMill.
- April 1, 1843 - Sarah Marsh, formerly Sarah Rice nee Brown, a daughter of Rev. Solomon Brown.
- September 3, 1843 - Laura Phillips, formerly Laura Welch.
- January 6, 1844 - Elizabeth Hurdy, formerly Elizabeth Bigford.
- April 6, 1844 - Lois Elizabeth Francisco, formerly Lois Elizabeth Hoffman.
- February 6, 1845 - Maria L. Wolcott, formerly Maria Louise Brown.
- March 3, 1845 - Fannie B. Ewell, formerly Fannie Blackmer, daughter of Deacon Jirah Blackmer.
- May 11, 1845 - Deborah Stottle, formerly Deborah Jones.
- July 5, 1845 - Esther Maine, formerly Esther Thompson.
- April 2, 1848 - Martha Royston, formerly Martha Baker.
- May 6, 1848 - Kezia Atwood, formerly Kezia Rogers.
- December 2, 1848 - Caroline Davis, formerly Caroline Wilkinson.
- February 18, 1849 - Clarissa Mudge, formerly Clarissa Armstrong.
- June 2, 1849 - Lydia Tenny, formerly Lydia Hosmer.
- June 10, 1849 - Mary Ann McCollum, formerly Mary Ann Bradbury.
- November 25, 1849 - Mary Fenton, formerly Mary Royston.
- August 11, 1851 - Adeline Stanhope, formerly Adeline Shirts, "departed this life."
- October 18, 1851 - Emeline Smith, formerly Emeline Hitchins.
- January 31, 1852 - Frances Garbutt, formerly Frances Emmons.
- January 1, 1853 - Catherine Howard, formerly Catherine Green.
- April 30, 1853 - Angeline Gansen, formerly Angeline Wilkinson.
- September 24, 1854 - Lovina Williams, formerly Lovina Bradbury.
- November 3, 1855 - Harriet Doyle, formerly Harriet Sage.
- December 6, 1856 - Angeline Douglass, formerly Angeline Bradbury.
- July 5, 1857 - Mary A. Collier, formerly Mary A. Longley, (died June 26).
- December 31, 1859 - Cornelia Knowles, formerly Cornelia Harmon.
- September 1, 1860 - Frances E. Welch, formerly Frances E. Harmon.
- December 8, 1861 - Elizabeth Meanwell, formerly Elizabeth Taylor.
- June 23, 1862 - Clarissa O. Merrill, formerly Clarissa O. Justus.
- February 28. 1863 - Emeline McLary, formerly Emeline Fisk.
Deaths of Church Members
- March 3, 1814 - William Lacy.
- July 2, 1815 - Elder Solomon Brown.
- March 14, 1817 - Anna Hosmer.
- September 7, 1821 - Mary Tenny.
- September 10, 1821 - Asa Tenny.
- April 9, 1822 - Maria Brown.
- August 29, 1822 - Polly Wardner.
- November 5, 1822 - Sarah Jackson.
- October 23, 1823 - Polly Almy.
- April 2, 1826 - Parker, the Aged.
- June 13, 1826 - Annas Tenny.
- July 6, 1829 - John Welsh.
- May 5, 1831 - Temperance Tenny.
- August 22, 1832 - Lydia Scott.
- March 2, 1833 - Martha Hebbard.
- June 8, 1834 - Alvah Tenny.
- October 28, 1834 - John Toms.
- May 25, 1835 - Deacon James Wood.
- June 24, 1835 - Laura Smith.
- January 3, 1837 - William Grant.
- May 26, 1837 - Pamelia Eldredge.
- June 5, 1837 - Caroline Flinn.
- November 17, 1838 - Mary Woods.
- December 12, 1838 - Elizabeth (Gillman) Goodhue.
- April 1, 1839 - Clarissa Shirts.
- February 9, 1840 - Mary Myers.
- May 28, 1840 - Esther Tenny.
- September 16, 1840 - Elizabeth Harmon.
- October 25, 1840 - Polly Hosmer.
- December 12, 1841 - Sarah Blackmer.
- January 16, 1843 - Mary C. Middleton.
- March 3, 1843 - Lydia (Murdock) Harmon.
- October 1, 1843 - Mareb Hotchkin.
- October 12, 1843 - Ann Tenny.
- March 29, 1844 - Nancy Brown.
- October 25, 1845 - Julia Blackmer.
- May 25, 1845 - Anun Macomber.
- March 20, 1846 - Nancy Tenny, wife of Reuben Tenny.
- January 28, 1846 - Maria Bradbury.
- January 24, 1847 - Abigail Britton.
- April 22, 1847 - Lois A. Holdridge.
- October 3, 1847 - Andrew G. Cone.
- April 25, 1848 - James Lowrey.
- May 6, 1848 - Elizabeth Morley.
- June 20, 1848 - Sally Brown, (widow of Rev. Solomon Brown).
- March 13, 1849 - Sally Blackmer.
- March 27, 1849 - Abigail Oles.
- April 25, 1848 - Mary L. Thompson.
- June 4, 1849 - Maria Baker.
- January 4, 1850 - Adeline Hotchkin.
- March 26, 1850 - Harriet (Hosmer) Rose.
- March 31, 1850 - Delia Targee.
- April 1, 1850 - Stephen Baker.
- May 5, 1850 - Mary Dexter.
- May 13, 1850 - Elder Reuben Tenny.
- June 14, 1850 - Deacon Rawson Harmon.
- September 22, 1850 - Mary W. Hosmer.
- January 1, 1851 - Cynthia Harmon.
- June 11, 1851 - Noah Hotchkin.
- June 12, 1851 - Adam Oles.
- August 11, 1851 - Adeline (Shirts) Stanhope.
- September 15, 1851 - William Shirts.
- June 12, 1852 - Malvin Tenny.
- June 27, 1852 - Egbert Basset, died at sea.
- October 11, 1852 - Reuben Tenny.
- November 12, 1852 - Abigail Munson.
- December 30, 1853 - Comfort Smith.
- May 19, 1854 - Mary Ann McElroy.
- December 15, 1854 - Margaret Marshall.
- May 16, 1855 - Ariel Harmon.
- May 22, 1855 - Emeline (Harmon) Wynn.
- August 27, 1855 - Joseph Wynn (husband of Emeline H.).
- April 20, 1856 - Tirza Blackmer.
- July 19, 1856 - Hannah Welch.
- June 26, 1857 - Mary A. (Collier) Longley, (in Wisconsin).
- October 26, 1857 - Martin Sage.
- October 29, 1859 - Theron Brown.
- April 15, 1860 - John Jacob Hansey.
- August 31, 1860 - Sarah H. Kelsey.
- December 25, 1860 - Clarissa Armstrong.
- April 15, 1861 - Elizabeth Duer, "in her 87th year."
- June 22, 1861 - Levi Stanhope.
- August 12, 1861 - Lucinda Stanhope.
- November 7, 1862 - Rev. Solomon Goodale, "Our revered Father Goodale," aged 95 years.
- Decemeber 23, 1862 - Lucinda Sheldon.
- August 11, 1862 - Mary (Harmon) Sage, wife of Henry Sage.
- October 16, 1863 - Mary Blackmer.
- January 19, 1864 - Deacon Elisha Harmon, "In consequence of a railroad collision in the State of Ohio."
- March 25, 1864 - Thomas Boyd.
- January 5, 1865 - Deacon John J. Blackmer.
- June 13, 1866 - Ira Harmon.
- June 6, 1867 - Deacon Jirah Blackmer.
Go to Monroe County GenWeb page.
© Richard T. Halsey, 2003